Thank you so much for your get well wishes after my last post. I'm pleased to report I'm feeling much better. I think a few days of rest have done me the world of good. So much so, that I managed to finish my red Vogue 1194 dress last week.
This is the pattern envelope:
And here is my finished dress.
I wish I was as tall and slim as the model, but I'm really happy with how this has turned out.
I had to make a few alterations, but it went together pretty easily.
The first alteration - and one I always do - was to take about half an inch off the width of the shoulder. I find almost every pattern is too wide across the shoulders for me, so I generally do this alteration as a matter of course now.
I sewed the rest of the dress exactly as the pattern, then made a couple more alterations after I'd tried it on. The first was to the V-neck. This neckline is LOW! I re-stitched it to be 2 and a quarter inches higher, but I could really go even higher than that. I'll have to be careful when I bend down in this dress so that I don't flash my bra to everyone.
The second size alteration I did was to take the waist in about half an inch on each side seam. It was OK as it was, but this alteration just gives a bit more definition, which I like.
One thing to bear in mind when making this dress is that at the waist there are lots of layers of fabric. The front twist is double layered, as is the back waistband. When you add in the seam allowances of both these pieces, together with the front and back pieces there are 10 layers of fabric! You'd want to choose quite a lightweight jersey for this dress otherwise this area could become really bulky.
I'd consider making this again - with a slightly higher neckline - maybe a bit shorter to wear as a tunic with jeans or leggings.
I'm sorry I don't have any more photos - the light here is really strange today and I always find red really hard to photograph anyway. You'll have to take my word for the fact that the back looks exactly like the pattern photo.